Saturday, March 3, 2012

Getting the Garden Ready



Today... We garden.

Well, sort of.. Today.. we tilled... and weeded.. and just generally got pretty dirty. The chickens came out to help with grub duty about half way through today's operation. That's Honey absolutely loving the fresh new dirt and all the bugs that come with it!

 
This is how the garden looked before we got to it today... This is a view of last years potato garden. 


And a couple potatoes that made it through the winter that I had missed popped out the sides of the tiller unscathed. I think these are Yukon Gold potatoes. Super yummy and almost buttery. Waaaaaaayyy better than store bought!

And Voila! Sorry that there are not too many pictures of the progress. But did you really want 5x7s of me in garden pants and muck boots? RadioBirdDad had on his famous "dog pants" and those I can show you. They are epic.



Gorgeous aren't they? :)

So we didn't really get as far as I had hoped.. But that was mainly because the chickens were out and about and I had to keep herding them out of the neighbor's flower beds.  I don't think they minded too terribly much. Besides, the bug population in the freshly tilled dirt was far easier to get to.


Chicken tracks.. How cute!

So here's where we are now:

Tomorrow we get the rest of it. Allll the way back to that fence. I think the width of the whole mess is only 50 ft or so. And maybe double that in length. Should keep me busy year round!

Anyhow, I just wanted to get the garden update up. You can view last years garden progress on my


Now, I really must say something about that tiller.. OMG! Its amazing! I got this little sucker on amazon for about $99.00. Yeah. $99.00.

Troy-Bilt TB154E 9-Inch 6.5-Amp Electric Garden Cultivator/Tiller

It has gone up a bit in price since last year but still totally worth every penny. I poured over catalogs and websites looking for just the right tiller on a college kid's budget. And I finally found this little tiller.. that could. :) Its so small. Its lightweight. Its red. :) And it tills like the devil. Occasionally getting tripped up on thick weeds and old garden wire (oops!) wasn't even that huge of a problem. It didn't happen all that often and when it did, it was so easy to pull the grass (or wire..) out and just keep going. Rocks and other debris just come out the sides or the back. The tiller didn't even stop to blink when I ran over a cinder block..

The cinder blocks were there to hold down the bug netting from last year.. and by the looks of the "before" picture, you can tell why I didn't see it until I hit it.. :)

Anyhow, I hope you are happy and healthy. I got a good dosing of vitamin D today so I'm totally pumped and excited about tomorrow. Hopefully I can show you what I mean by purple potatoes!

Have a wonderful day! And Happy Green March!



No comments:

Post a Comment