Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Homemade Gel Air Fresheners


DIY Gel Air Fresheners

I would start this post with some cheesy anecdote about smelly bathrooms or something... But I think you came here to learn a little something.. So let's get to it shall we!?

Ok, Here's what you will need:

Heat-proof  jars. Such as canning jars or candle jars.. 
Food colouring
Essential oils 
4 envelopes of Knox powdered gelatin (1 oz)
2 cups cold water
A Tbs of salt or vodka  (to keep from molding)

OK, Here's what you do:

Add a few drops of essential oil to each of your jars. (More oil = more scent) I use about 30 drops of oil per 1/2 pint) And add a couple drops of colour. You don't need much food colouring. 2 drops or so should do it. Set these aside.





Bring 1 cup of water to a boil and add the gelatin. Whisk until smooth. Add the salt (or vodka) and the 2nd cup of cold water and whisk until smooth.


Quickly pour the hot mixture into your prepared jars and stir. Now, just allow these to cool and set into their new gelatinous form and you've got yourself some Homemade Air Fresheners!

For my first batch I used plain lavender oil which smelled wonderful! These are so great because they are really cheap and you can put them in virtually any container you want. Makes stashing a little smell good in corners and tight spaces so much easier! And even better than stashing these is displaying them proudly as conversation pieces. You can really dress up this project by decorating your jars to match your decor. I've got a sparkly black and white bathroom that could use a little "mirror ball" type jar filled with smelly goodness!

Oh! Let me send you over to this wonderful site:

The recipe is the same but she gives you oil recipes for making specific smells such as
Rosemary Orange
Pine scented
Essense of Province

And if you need help finding oils...
Hobby Lobby and Micheals I hear have them.. 
I found a great set of aromatherapy oils that I, myself, am going to pick up. I'll show you how to use them in candles later on. For now, Click the picture for more info.

Top 6 100% Pure Therapeutic Grade Basic Sampler Essential Oil Gift Set- 6/10 ml (Eucalyptus, Lavender, Lemongrass, Orange, Peppermint, Tea Tree)

And, in sticking to my green theme... Here's a tip. 

You can use 2oz of Orange oil to 2 gallons of water as an ant repellant. (heh.. repel-ant.. English is so fun sometimes) Just pour over the mound for 2-3 days and watch the ants line up to leave..

The ants go marching one by one...
Check that out! I bet you could see that line of ants from space! But, I just hope you can see it from the interwebs. ;)

There were so many that they dug trenches trying to escape the smell of orange.

OK, That's all I've got for you today. I've been super busy lately. The garden is HUGE this year.. So that's taking forever.. I'm painting again.. That's taking forever too. :) And a myriad of other things going on. Oh! I still need to brag about purple potatoes..


Row upon row of them. fun!

Well, time to get back to it! Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment